Neurological Outpatient Physiotherapy
Our service provides Outpatient physiotherapy for patients with neurological conditions that require specialist rehabilitation.
It is staffed by physiotherapists who have extensive experience of neurological conditions, gained through working in tertiary, acute and primary care settings.
The service delivers evidence-based rehabilitation using a patient-centered approach.
We welcome written referrals from GPs, Consultants and other Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) for any neurological patients who may benefit from an assessment and neuro-physiotherapy. These include people who are:
- Newly diagnosed with a neurological condition
- Following and acute neurological episode/hospital discharge
- For long-term neurological condition management
We aim to be flexible with the appointment times we offer, we operate on a Monday, Thursday and Friday 8.30am-4.30pm. Last appointment booking is at 3.30pm.
Please note our service is provided for patients with a North East Hants and Farnham GP only.
We base treatment interventions on your own goals and a detailed neurological assessment. A problem-based physiotherapy approach is used along with close collaboration with you, carers and other members of the multidisciplinary teams from health and social care.
Please ensure you wear appropriate clothing (for example, shorts) and bring any splints or walking aids with you.
We offer one-to-one physiotherapy sessions based on current principles of neurological rehabilitation.
- Re-education of walking or functional tasks
- Home exercise programmes to promote and/or maintain function
- Guidance on how best to self-manage your physical symptoms, offering reviews as appropriate to your condition
- Functional Electrical stimulation (FES) assessment and equipment trial/provision (subject to funding agreement) and
- Signposting to local support and leisure facilities appropriate to your condition
We set your goals together and progress is regularly monitored and reviewed. We have a dedicated gym area with a range of physiotherapy equipment including access to standing frames and exercise equipment. We have developed close relationships with local community health, social, leisure and voluntary services who we liaise closely with.
This may include
- Referral to local spasticity management services and orthotics
- Links with other services (Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease practitioners and other allied health professionals)and/or
- Onward referrals (disease specific support groups, leisure activities, local gyms)
The length of your appointment will be dependent on the reason of your visit, most likely they will vary between 30 to 60 minutes. This is based on your needs and tolerance of treatment, at the discretion of the physiotherapist.
We aim to see you within six weeks of your initial referral. We prioritise urgent referrals to be seen within one working week.
We accept written referrals from GP services, hospital consultants and other allied health professionals with GP agreement. When a referral is made, please check we have up to date contact information for the patient to ensure timely and efficient organisation of the patient’s appointment.
Please send this to:
Physiotherapy Department (Neuro outpatients)
Surrey GU9 9QL
or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please ensure the referral contains information on:
- Referrer’s contact details, and contact details for the patient/carer including patient NHS number
- Presenting problem with investigation results, medication and relevant history
- Reason for the referral
- Social situation including care package, existing community services input and accommodation issues and
- Current medication list
Please note – it is our experience that patients who require hospital transport or who require mechanical transfer aids are usually able to be better assessed in their own environment by the Community Therapists.